Friday, October 27, 2006

Memories of Halloween Past

I wrote this piece back in 2004. Since Halloween looms ever near, I thought I'd share it once again because it contains many special (and seasonal) memories from my childhood:


There's a preschool across the path from where I live and several pointy-hatted witches and little black cats are decorating its windows. In fact, there are ghostly signs everywhere that Halloween's approaching but it's still a day away. I'm not complaining though, I love this time of year. As a kid, I used to spend hours sitting by my window sketching little witches on broom sticks. I would hope that if I glanced out the window, one of those little witches perchance would whizz by on her broomstick. Of course that was only the build up for the actual event.

Back in the day, going trick or treating was a real high. We lived in an apartment building, so we'd gather our little group of friends (from various floors) and locate suitable plastic grocery bags (to hold our goodies), and then make our triumphant rounds through seven candy-laden floors. Unfortunately even whilst roaming indoors we had to wear coats (Seinfeld was right about mothers and Halloween)! My brother and I always had crappy costumes, you know the plastic kind that your forgetful parents buy the day of at Shopper's Drug Mart. Or sometimes we'd make our own attire (make up and odd bits of clothing go a long way and are really loads of fun...and when you're desperate for candy, you're more than willing to make an ass of yourself).

We used to bang on the doors (never knock) and scream out "Trick or Treat!" and sometimes we'd even serenade homes with a rendition of:

"Trick or Treat. Smell my feet.
Give me something good to eat.
Not to big, not to small,
Just the size of Montreal!!"

Ah yes, those were the days. Once we even went to a neighbour's home and the poor guy wasn't even aware that it was Halloween. I remember him distinctly, he was carrying his young son on one shoulder while rummaging through his cupboards, eventually giving us small boxes of corn flakes. We were a bit disappointed but didn't mind because it was free. The anticipation of the event and returning home to hunt through one's finds were mind-boggling because it just seemed too easy.

I've never fully grown up, I must admit. That's why the Great Pumpkin is still a tradition for me. A newer ritual, is to read through Jerry Seinfeld's Halloween. Give it a go if you get the chance it's brilliant and it'll bring back loads of memories too. Don't forget the Simpsons either ...but of course you won't.

4 comments:

  1. Remember the when you could really eat the homemade popcorn balls that the lady down the street made? Life was so simple and sweet then. You must be about the same age age my children!!! Happy Halloween. I hope the Great Pumpkin comes to see you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana you are so lovely! It's no wonder that Aunt Jackie adores her big sis! I hope the Great Pumpkin comes to you too! :)

    I remember homemade Halloween treats that people made...they don't do that anymore do they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can't... too many vicious rotten folk running amuck. Still, it's nice to read stories like this and remember the magic... why can't we all still be kids right now?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jackie, that would be fantastic if we could be kids again--knowing what we know now of course. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails