Saturday, November 04, 2006

Choose Your Own Adventure

If you decide to start back home, turn to page 4.
If you decide to wait, turn to page 5.

In middle school, my brother and I poured over books from the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series. We owned two copies, the rest were borrowed from the library. I don't know what happened to the two we owned, "Outlaws of Sherwood Forest" and "Escape" (pictured below) but I wish we still had them. The books provided yet another form of escape from those sometimes dreary years of growing up.


In the first chapter of each book, readers were offered basic plotlines, ones that had always had crisis looming around the corner. Readers were then given the opportunity to decide what course of action the main characters would take, leading to many wonderful adventures.




It was empowering. As a child, you were given the opportunity to make "adult-like" decisions and determine your own fate, and those of others around you. It was exciting. Unfortunately, the series is now out of print. More info here.

Update: In the November 5, 2006 season premiere of Family Guy, Peter Griffin is reading a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book in bed. What a coincidence!

5 comments:

  1. I was addicted to "choose your own adventures" in a really bad way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand. I wish I still had my copies. They brought me so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fantastic!! Probably the basis for alot of our RPG games... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are Aunt Jackie! Loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to post up a screencap of Family Guy reading a Choose Your Own Adventure book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails