Saturday, January 27, 2007

Poodle Skirts and Saddle Shoes


Another Retro-Spective Reposting.
When I was a kid, I had a poodle skirt. It was hard to find one online in the same colors as the one I remember, but this looks pretty close. Mine was gray felt with a pink poodle.

I also had saddle shoes. I loved saddle shoes and still do. I've found variations over the years, but they're gone now either because they fell apart from heavy use or no longer fit. The best were the ones with the saddle part being a blue and greenish plaid.

A fun site is Fads, Fashions, Slang on the Fifties Web.

Now, I was born in 1953 and was fairly young when I wore my poodle skirt, and I really didn't have much fashion sense back then. But by the mid-to-late-'60s, mini-skirts, fishnet stockings, and white Go-Go boots were practically required. I had to have the boots because my mother's cousin, who's only 18 years older than I am, had them, and she was the closest I had to a real life role model, though I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I would've liked. M was a single woman with a cool job with a big-name record company, and besides, I had a serious crush on her boyfriend. So, when I saw M's boots, I simply had to have a pair. Which I got and wore to shreds because I wore them in the snow and they were decidedly not waterproof. My boots were short, coming to mid-calf, and flat heeled, and I can only find photos of thigh-high boots. Oh well.



Another fashion necessity for me, one that won't past muster with any fashion critic, was my denim blue Keds sneakers with orange shoelaces. Coincidentally, those are the Mets colors, but I wasn't a baseball fan back then. White sneakers were fine, too, once we got our friends to step on them to scuff them up.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I'll ever stop being fascinated by the 50s and 60s. The styles, fads, clothing etc. were just so darn cool! I always wanted a poodle skirt. I thought it made girls look so pretty. And the go-go dancer look appealed to me too.

    Thanks for this post Shelly! Fantastic stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chelly. I've got enough old posts suitable for this place to keep going for a couple of weeks or so before I need to actually write something new. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin gave me her white go-go boots when she got new ones. They were 2 sizes too big. I didn't care. They were sooo cool. Obviously I didn't look so cool as I tripped over them.

    I'm envious of your saddle shoes. My mother had a thing against saddle shoes. I had to wear patent leather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly, dig into the old files by all means b/c they are wonderful! That's what this blog is about. :)

    MJ, you're always cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails