Thursday, February 22, 2007

The First Grade Exhibitionist

When I was in the first grade, I remember quite clearly that along with my fellow six-year olds, I was becoming more and more expressive. I would take to bouts of dancing (shyness is not immune to the hokey pokey), while others would experiment with their laughter and singing voices and some children would simply love to talk about themselves and anything else that was going on in their world.

There was one little boy, however, who was quite unlike anyone else for he had a talent that was so special and discreet, that he waited for teachers to exit the room before displaying it. His communicative abilities should have been apparent to me, as he was very much the charmer. Much like a young Sammy Davis Junior, as evidenced by his dazzling smile and vivacious energy. He was always well dressed, wearing handsome sweater vests with long sleeve shirts and matching corduroys. I suspect he came dressed to be an entertainer rather than to be educated. It turned out, to his delight that some students rather liked his brand of entertainment.

His exceptional talent was displaying his "wee-wee" (one of many endearing terms we used back then but that's another entry) and he would invite his fellow classmates to “come and see” in the absence of a teacher. Although mildly intrigued, I would shake my head and groan every time he did this (as his desk was next to mine) and quickly place my head on my desk and close my eyes in disgust.

Other children, mainly boys (save for a few curious girls who abandoned propriety for clearly what would be a more entertaining show than first grade math) were rather delighted in that little boy's skill, as they would crowd around his desk, “ooohing and aaahing” for a glimpse. These shows only lasted a few seconds but were always followed by thunderous peals of laughter, especially by the “artist” himself. I don’t think the teachers ever found out. I did manage to see it once though--curiosity and proxemity got the better of me.

I shudder to think what he’s doing today.

8 comments:

  1. "I shudder to think what he’s doing today."

    He's one of the regulars who visits MY blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, mj.

    Chelly, when I was in first and second grade, we had a serial kisser. He was a kind of dorky looking kid (and dork wasn't even a word back then, I don't think, creep, maybe) who would run up to girls, kiss them, then run away. Recess was a dangerous time. We complained to the teachers but I don't know that it went beyond talking to his mother. Today, the police would probably be called.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ: ha ha! Good one!

    Shelly: That's too funny. There's always one kid in each school notorious for smooching or what not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a kid that did that same thing in my first grade class. His name was Eddie and he also ate the erasers off of his pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelly!! lol When you got a glimpse (by childhood standards that is) was it all that you'd expected?? ha-ha.

    The weird guy in my class was a musical genius, but he snorted chalk dust. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Metal Mark: Hello! Poor Eddie. I wonder if it did anything to his digestive system. I remember a few kids who chewed their erasers (and pencils) too.

    Aunt Jackie: Chalk dust eh? Hee hee, I wonder what he's snorting now! It's funny how we only remember the kids with the peculiar habits. And btw, I was grossed out by the glimpse and not overly impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chalk dust? Never heard of that.

    We chewed pencils and there's a word for that -- eating or chewing wood -- but I can't remember what it is. We also ate paste. And I knew a kid who chewed airplane glue like it was gum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should combine all these traits (flashing, snorting chalk dust, eating pencils, serial kissing and eating glue as if it were gum) and then we'd have the makings of a very interesting cartoon character. One that would rival Ralph Wiggum at any rate. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails