Monday, July 20, 2009

The Green Plymouth Fury


From the family archives circa mid-70s

Silent car rides, in the back seat of that Green 1972 Plymouth Fury, is what I remember most.

We had our share of noisy rides too but it was as if calmness and quiet were thrust upon us, once we stepped into our family car. Our eight-cylindered friend, with wide spaces and small cocoons for children to sleep through long journeys, had a smiling face and observed all.

Elbows on windows and hands on belts, our minds would race as we watched the world and ate burgers in silence. Houses, driveways, bikes, and clotheslines sped in and out of view. Under tunnels and hydro towers, beside leafy trees and little hills, we exhaled in peace.

The car my father purchased from a Catholic nun for two hundred dollars in 1975, spent only five years in our homestead. Soaring gas prices literally drove the car away. When my parents finally sold it, we naturally mourned the loss of a friend and family member.

Green-skinned and magical, it knew more than it let on, or so it seemed.



1972 Plymouth Fury

5 comments:

  1. Wow,
    what a picture you paint.
    Different cars, but I do too have some great memories of the cars my dad used to drive us around.
    What a jump back to those great days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. Cars really become part of the family don't they? Those were different times - sometimes I can't believe we lived through them. What type of car did your family have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool deal! lol Those old classic cars were something. Well told!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I love vintage cars, and have many fond memories of the old cars my parents owned in the 70s and 80s. I think you've just inspired me to write about one of them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love vintage cars too. They come with so many memories. So glad you're inspired to write about one of your family's cars (thank you) - can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails