Tuesday, February 06, 2007

How Days Were Spent



Growing up, my brother was the Hobbes to my Calvin. Aside from being taller and cracking jokes at my expense, he was laidback, poetic and often came up with intelligent or crafty solutions to overcome many of the binds we found ourselves in:

  • fixing broken closet doors,
  • masking bloodied knees,
  • discovering mysterious chalkboards behind mum's dresser,
  • writing fake excuse notes for kids in the neighbourhood,
  • battling aliens in our cardboard box shaped spaceships
  • creating makeshift playground slides when there was nothing else to do, and so on.

I'll have to soon write about some of the other intriguing characters in my life at the time (and try to find cartoon parallels for them as well, especially the not so nice ones).

Comic books and chocolate cereal were also common in our home. If I'm honest, they're still major staples on my grocery list. The image above by Bill Waterson reminds me of how we and some of our pals used to spend our days as kids. Who's kidding who, we still do.

4 comments:

  1. Heh since I had no bros or sisters of my own I always borrowed my neighbours. There were 3 brothers in all. Like Larry Moe and Curly or Hewy Dewy and Lewy. We pretty much grew up together and did all those brotherly sisterly things as you could imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! I didn't have any sisters of my own, so girls in the neighbourhood became surrogate sisters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh (satisfied sigh). Makes me feel warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks AJ.

    Warm and cozy, those are the best moments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails