Friday, February 02, 2007

I Was a Childhood Woodchuck

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck,
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Ah the woodchuck.

I tend to get rather emotional every February 2nd. Groundhog Day always does that to me. I suppose it's because my affiliation with the creature began in second grade. I had a recurring role as a woodchuck (commonly known as the groundhog, and sadly also as the "whistle-pig"), in two successive school plays.

I was typecast.

I remember moments from those plays: the buzz of the crowd, spotting my father in the back, feeling extremely nervous, constantly fidgeting with my fly (my pants were rather tight, it was the only pair of brown pants I owned and had obviously outgrown them and wanted them to stay up). Those memories aside, I still have a great deal of affection for woodchucks. I did countless essays on them during grade school and middle school. People must have wondered about me. When the famous and original "Wiarton Willie" (Canada's preeminent shadow seeking groundhog) passed away in 1999, it was difficult for me to accept. I still get choked up about it.

So here's to all those woodchucks out there (including child actors) and to aging woodchuck lovers everywhere. I raise my glass to you.

Did anyone else have recurring roles in school plays or ones that were simply odd or unforgettable?

6 comments:

  1. Wow I love your blog. Had to book mark it. :) I'm glad I'm not the only one keeping Childhood spirit alive.
    Its especially important to me because it really spices up my artwork est. I could never be a boring adult and its a promise to me I always keep why'll all my former friends long ago lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story, and funny. :)

    And a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a recurring role but I WAS the school prima donna.

    I wrote school plays, then starred in them, directed them, and narrated them.

    Nauseating, really. I'm surprised my classmates still spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. k_tigress: Welcome, so glad you came to visit! Childhood is good for the imagination and vice versa. :)

    Shelly: Thank you! I love that old woodchuck rhyme.

    MJ: You're so funny. But you don't strike me as a prima donna at all. Can you recall what the plays were about?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a special affinity for bastardizing the classics... MJ-style. And working naughty references into them that only me and my closest friends would get. Including Gilbert and Sullivan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MJ: What you naughty? Now who could ever imagine that? :P

    I wish I could have seen your plays!! Sounds like loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails