Saturday, March 03, 2007

Crafty

Another photo I took the other day when I was going through shoeboxes of my old stuff is of things I made when I was a kid. For some reason, I'm blanking on the name of the red yarn thingie there, but making rugs or whatevers when I was in junior and senior high (maybe elementary school, too; I've lost track of time) with those things was very popular. I never actually made anything. Just kept tying on more yarn and wanted to see how long I could make the "snake."

The gum wrapper chain worked on the same principle. Make it as long (and colorful) as possible. I still get a kick out of looking at it. Just seeing all the flavors of gum. I didn't like or chew all of the gum from those wrappers. Many were from friends. Sometimes, we traded if we liked different flavors.

28Feb2007 060

The lanyards were made as projects in camp. I was so proud when I learned how to split the "chain" and when I learned how to do different stitches like the barrel. At least, I think that's what one stitch was called.

I had a large rubber band ball, too, but years ago, it snapped. Rubber bands do dry out, especially when kept in boxes. Actually, I think it kinda exploded. So I tossed it. ;)

Other crafts I loved were making things with papier mache (I don't have anything from then), but I do have a clay sculpture I made in camp and I might still have pics I made from the linoleum cuts we did (in an art class at the YM&YWHA when I was 10. Photos to come, maybe.

2 comments:

  1. You were a mighty creative lass, Shelly! Great pic. I think it's amazing that you've kept all of it. I wish I did too. I remember weaving a little purse in sixth grade and being really pleased with it, considering I always sucked at sewing etc. I was much better at wood shop than with sewing: I made foot stools, keychains, my named carved in wood etc. I think I still have that. I'll look for it.

    My brother rocked at making lanyards in our home. His were beautifully done, mine just inspired pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I still had a potholder or two. Those were fun to make. We did those in elementary school. Mostly, if stuff fit in a shoebox, I was able to keep them.

    I can't sew to save my life. And given my clutziness, the thought of me trying to do woodwork is frightening. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails