Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Game Seven

There's a conversation my brother and I had during our elementary school days that I remember vividly. It began as a polite debate but soon turned into a heated argument that was dangerously close to fisticuffs. And now that I think of it, the throwing of punches was rather appropriate as we were discussing a hockey playoff match.

It was a post-season game between the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames (that was to be broadcast on TV later that night) which inspired our fury. In honour of said game and the playoffs in general, we decided to play our beloved Coleco Table Hockey game in our dining room. I can't remember which one of us played for which team but I most likely begged to be Edmonton as they were hugely popular at the time. I wasn't largely into sports back then but the playoffs always excited me and so did our table hockey game, we played any chance we got. We had great, animated matches, the pair of us.

On that particular afternoon, my brother said that we'd be playing a "best of seven" match.

"Do you know what that means?" He asked.

I nodded.

"You're sure?" He asked again, unconvinced.

"I'm sure." I said nonchalantly, eying my men with great intensity.

Our great match thus began...

After he won the fourth game, he proudly exclaimed, "I win!"

Bewildered and angry, I said, "No you didn't!"

"Yes, I did! Best of seven, remember!" He shot back.

"We didn't play all seven!" I cried out passionately.

"But I won four!" His voice and temper slowly rising.

"But there's three games left, how could you win?"

He started laughing.

And thus began a very long and heated argument on the logistics of winning a seven game hockey series. It involved the throwing of things, the pulling of hair (guilty) and name calling. I honestly thought you had to play all seven games. My brain couldn't comprehend that four out of seven was all that was needed. It took about an hour or so and a brief math lesson, before the grey cells in my brain kicked in. I'm surprised he didn't use puppets to explain it to me.

Talk about being thick.

Every now and then, he'll remind me of the game seven argument. He says it's funny. I say he's still rubbing it in.



Images: Tablehockeygames.com

2 comments:

  1. Chelly, I remember those games. My cousin had a football game like it. It was so much fun to see the players vibrate to a winning touch down!!! How simple things were then. I am not so much missing my childhood theses days but I miss my children's.... especially my son. Wish we could do that one over again. You were such a beautiful little girl as you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you Nana! What a sweet comment. You're so lovely too. Must run in the family cuz AuntJackie's a sweetie too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails