Monday, April 23, 2007

Five Years Old

My first childhood crush occurred when I was five.

Like many gals before me, I fell for the musician types. Well, a boy band to be exact. And as far as boy bands went, this particular group fulfilled all of the major requirements: pretty faces, long hair, the ability to belt out sappy tunes and ridiculous (bordering on absurd) fashion sense. It didn't hurt that they were of the Scottish persuasion either. My adoration of all things British went far back indeed.

The Bay City Rollers had that sort of appeal that only teenage girls and wide-eyed toddlers could appreciate, and I was no exception. Their greatest hits collection was one of my most prized possessions. When they came to Toronto in 1977, there was pandemonium in the city.

They look somewhat normal here.

Times sure have changed since the late 70s. Ten years later, as the 80s came to a close, among other things, five year olds were listening to the New Kids on the Block, and ten years after that they were listening to the Spice Girls and Britney Spears (and such). I guess five year olds like sugary music. Mind you, I used to enjoy Big Bird's "Sleepy Time" album which by far was the classiest album I owned back then. The Bay City Rollers, however, remained tops in my book, especially during the kindergarten era.

I'm a tad ashamed to admit it but I still like them. Well, there have been instances when my adoration has been challenged. Awhile back, I found a clip of the lads performing "Don't Stop the Music" (circa 1977). The horrendous dancing featured in the video even put me off (well, a bit). The singer's moves and more importantly his excessively tight pants were alarming. Although, at the age of five, it wouldn't have mattered one bit. I would have probably danced along sans judgement.

I get emotional listening to some of their music, because it takes me right back.

Just what were they thinking?

So I'll put a couple of questions to you:

  1. What did you listen to when you were five? and
  2. Who was your first celebrity crush?

Here's a clip that I don't mind: S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night. Admit it, this one's not so bad:



Imagery via Bay City Rollers The Photo Book

5 comments:

  1. When I was five I think my mother was playing CCR and John Denver a lot so I heard that. Lynda Carter of Wonder Woman fame might be the first cleebrity crush I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We played John Denver alot in our home too growing up. To this day, his songs leave me feeling sentimental and warm.

    By the way, while I listened to BCR my brother was cranking out KISS. The Album cover was awesome and I remember just staring at it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it would be The Fonz... :)

    I remember some disco songs, but I always listened to my mom's old 45 records adn that was anything from 50s/60s music to old country.

    I loved her records!
    -AuntJackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those disco tunes too Jax, especially Disco Duck (was that what it was called?) with Donald Duck.

    I've always loved 50s/60s music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was 5, it was 1958. I think that might be the year we got the TV. I got to watch cartoons and kids shows like Romper Room.

    My first crush was when I was 5, but he was a real life boy in my kindergarten class. I chased him around the classroom, but had no idea what I would do if I caught him. I was only 5, after all, and a lot less sophisticated than 5 year olds even 10 or 15 years later.

    He's a doctor now and his mother (his parents and my parents became friends) reminded me a few years ago how Keith used to come home from kindergarten and complain about the girl who kept chasing him. I'll never live that down.

    First celebrity crushes came later: Ricky Nelson, Edd "Kookie" Byrnes, and then, a bit later, when I was 11, David "Illya Kuryakin" McCallum, and musically, Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits and George Harrison of The Beatles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails