Sunday, June 10, 2007

Me and My Girl

Does anyone remember Me and My Girl? No, not the musical with the same name but the Britcom starring the brilliant Richard O'Sullivan (Man About the House, Doctors on the Go etc.) as "Simon Harrap", a widowed advertising executive learning how to raise his young daughter without her beloved mother.

Me and My Girl was made by London Weekend Television for ITV (goodness, I remember those logos vividly) and aired from 1984 to 1988. The series takes a comedic look at Simon's relationship with his daughter "Samantha" (Joanne Ridley), mother-in law "Nell" (Joan Sanderson) and his business partner Derek Yates (Tim Brooke-Taylor from The Goodies), alongwith his many romantic misadventures.

I don't believe the series was as widely popular as other Britcoms which over the years have become household names (Are You Being Served, On the Buses etc.) but it did have a loyal fanbase. It was an understated and lovely show to watch. Lots of fun too! Click here for an episode guide. There are six seasons worth of episodes to reflect back on:





Source: eBay

How I loved the theme song! I wish I had a clip for you to listen to but alas I do not. Once I do find it, I will certainly post it up.

UPDATE (Oct. 28, 2008): Found a clip of the theme song! Click here to listen.

There are some clips from the show on YouTube (bless the person who uploaded these) that you can also enjoy. Here are a couple:


The Morning After




Drunk Scene

4 comments:

  1. Is this the theme tune that contained lyrics along the lines of:

    "my girl and me know that, our love will last forever"

    I can sing the tune in my head but can't remember any more words and have always wanted to find a copy so please let me know if ever you do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jennie!
    Thanks so much for your comment :)

    Yes that is from the theme song. And I found it on YouTube sometime ago. I just forget to post it up. Here is the link:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hraWUMzNvvw

    Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Chelly you have made my day!!!! I was humming it all last night and remembered 'love never was all rainbows'. I am so happy to be able to sing along to it! That tune has been in my head for over 15 years :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your very welcome Jennie! :) I get a lump in my throat whenever I hear it. Be sure to check out the other "Me and My Girl" vids on YouTube--there are a few episodes uploaded.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails