Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Matter of Time


Image: eBay

Perhaps it was a bit of madness, that many years ago forced me to freely relinquish my beloved Music Box Teaching Clock (by Fisher Price) to a younger friend. I suppose I had assumed that parting with the toy was age-appropriate, seeing that I had entered middle school and had other pressing matters preoccupying my mind (like fitting in and trying not to look like a complete dork). I have always known that it would be a matter of time (pardon the pun) before I deeply regretted the decision to give up that clock. And I was right. The hints of regret that began cropping up once I parted with the toy, eventually turned into waves, and there was really nothing left to do but to reflect...


Image: www.thisoldtoy.com

I bought the clock at a grade school rummage sale type-of-event and loved it from the moment I set eyes on it. It was shaped like an old brick schoolhouse with a triangular roof. You can actually see a teacher, her students and a little dog standing in the doorway. A scene of which I always found quite welcoming; wishing I could just step inside to greet those friendly faces.

The clock featured a windup music box that played a popular folk song by Henry C. Work aptly called "My Grandfather's Clock". A gentle and soothing tune which often rendered me into a trance like state (listen here). Every hour, illustrated portraits of children engaged in daily activities--like sleeping, eating, playing etc. (that were typical for that time of the day) were revealed.

It was pure escapism for me. I never even realized that there was something to be learned. But of course, the best toys never let on that they're actually teaching you something.

6 comments:

  1. Never had a clock like this one! Our childhood toys are the greatest aren't they?? Miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They definitely were the greatest Jaxx. It's wonderful finding some of the more obscure ones online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/04/2007

    oh my god! all of the sudden i was feeling nostalgic and while i was browsing at random through blogs i saw that someone has a toy like i had (still do but doesn't play the music anymore)..is this crazy it brought joy to me and i am 40 and living in portugal for the last 26 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there in Portugal! What a wonderful comment. I too get excited when someone discusses an old toy or game that I played as a kid. We're never too old to enjoy those memories.

    Thanks for visiting. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had one of these when I was a kid and I loved it! It still plays albeit very slowly. I was looking through a catalog recently and saw that they are actually making these again - the same exact thing! They sell it in a "nostalgic" box. I almost bought one but then stopped myself because my kids are too old. I can still enjoy my ancient one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Janet! Wow, they're still making it again! It's fantastic that you still have your original one--I wish I still had mine too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails