Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thelma


Thelma Keane, the wife of Family Circus creator Bill Keane and inspiration for the "Mommy/Thelma" character in his comic strip, passed away last week at the age of 82. I have a sentimental attachment to "Family Circus", so this sad news made me stop and think back.

I never realized it before but Thelma Keane's cartoon namesake, was part of my weekend ritual for many years as a child. Every Saturday, I'd rush over (cookies in hand) to grab the brightly coloured Comics section in the Toronto Star and read it cover to cover, many times over. It was in many ways the pinnacle of my week. I'd always save "Peanuts" and "Family Circus" for last. I haven't properly sat down with a weekend comic for sometime now. I miss it.

So long Thelma. And thanks.

4 comments:

  1. She looks like she was a nice and peacefull family woman that you would love visiting next door for some cookies and a beverage.
    My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet comment! And yes, she does seem lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, and I as well loved this comic strip. I still do if I run across it. So many of our best comic strips, t.v. shows and other wonderful childhood memories just fade. It's great to be able to remember those we loved best.

    R.I.P. Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely comment.


    PS: Thank you! Glad you liked the post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails