Monday, June 30, 2008

Centre Island

If you grew up in southern Ontario, then inevitably the last few days of every school year (those lazy hazy days before June had its last hurrah) involved a trip to Centre Island. The very name itself is a source of great nostalgia for me. It's one of those childhood jaunts that you never forget, no matter where life finds you.

I vividly remember taking the ferry to the Island with my classmates at the end of fourth grade...

On the ferry:
  • seagulls soaring close above, seeking handouts
  • kids equipped with baggies of bread scraps
  • the ripply and twinkly waves of the lake
  • the wind in our hair
  • seasickness
  • laughter and anticipation

On the Island:
  • running through the beach
  • feeding the ducks
  • attempting the sky ride (I did it!)
  • giggling
  • amusement park chaos
  • silly crushes etc.
  • eating cotton candy till we were exhausted
  • hot dogs for lunch and then more cotton candy
  • not realizing that many of us would never reprise the same relationships again

Links:
Sky Ride
Toronto Islands
Hanifworld images

2 comments:

  1. Centre Island is one of my most favourite places on earth! Great post Chelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jody. :) I knew you'd understand this post. It's a rite of passage for Toronto kids isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails