Saturday, June 28, 2008

Othello

I'm not sure when we were given our copy of Othello (named after the Shakespearean play although originally known as Reversi) but it's safe to say that I never mastered the board game. I could never figure out how to play it. This is ironic given that the tagline for the game reads: "A minute to learn, a lifetime to master."

Not in my case.

I recall quite vividly, that the board was green and beautifully designed: it folded inwards to hold the black and white pieces and had a magnetic lining which locked it shut. Made for easy clean up. Rather than playing the actual game, as it happened, I often used the board to conduct Smurf wars. I loved carrying the board around with me, opening and closing it. The magnetic lining gave it a lovely snap.

Trouble, Operation, Boggle, Monopoly and Snakes and Ladders were more my speed.

3 comments:

  1. We had that game. It's not with my games, so maybe my sister ended up with it. We played it all the time, when we weren't playing other games (Boggle was also a favorite, along with Monopoly, Yahtzee, and Sorry, and card games like Canasta, War, and Rummy and Gin Rummy). I remember thinking the playing pieces looked like cookies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pieces did look like cookies! Chocolate and vanilla ones :)

    OMG, Boggle and Monopoly were favorites of mine too. I'll add those to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never had this either. Smurf wars - sounds interesting, what's that all about? We did enjoy Boggle, Monopoly and Trouble too. We even had Double Trouble! Playing board games when we were kids was always so much fun despite my brother being a sore loser.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails