Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Heirloom


image via eBay

My family purchased the album pictured above from Regal (remember them?) back in the 70s. There were two other Christmas albums that we often listened to but the aptly titled "A Very Merry Christmas from Regal" was the one that left us spellbound. I literally sat for hours by the living room stereo (complete with eight track set, record player and massive headphones), staring at the front and back covers with the music blaring overhead.

The back cover featured images of the many artists who performed on the record (Glen Campbell, Nat King Cole, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Bing Crosby, Peggy Lee, Dinah Shore, Fred Waring etc.). I used to enjoy pairing up the faces, to see who would look good married to whom (must have been some sort of condition I had, as I used to romantically pair up: crayons, the castaways on Gilligan's Island, numbers and letters of the alphabet). I remember the cold of the floor and the eager anticipation for Christmas which seemed like a bigger deal than it does when you are much older.

My parents thankfully still have the album in their home (intact, even after all these years). My brother once said, "we should never throw it away, it's childhood."

An heirloom. Something I could never part with.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for commenting on such an old post, but I just recently discovered your blog and have been working my way through.

    I have a similar attachment to a few of my parents' records including some they bought at A&P grocery where my father worked. Songs you never hear anywhere else like Bobby Vinton's "Christmas Eve in My Home Town" and Lynn Anderson's "Soon It Will Be Christmas Day" are some of the biggest triggers to Christmas memories for me and I listen to the original albums (my mom gave them to me some years back) every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tom! No need to apologize, I'm delighted that you are reading through my archives. Many thanks. :) Nothing brings back memories better than a song. I love looking through old record collections. They speak volumes about the times you grew up in. Cheers.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails