Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

New Year's Eve, it's nearly here. I don't remember much of a big deal growing up surrounding New Year's Eve except for probably setting off fireworks to ring in the new year at midnight. We also had occasional functions at the churches I was dragged along to by my mother growing up. Events they had which were supposed to provide an alternative for people to going out in the crowds, drinking and danger that went along with that, and to keep the kids out of trouble I guess. Those things probably included a long sermon, socializing and food perhaps. They're just not that memorable to me.

The fireworks, we did at home and they were always supervised or 'put on' more or less by my Dad. He enjoyed the Roman Candles, and Firecrackers, Bottle Rockets, and we kids were allowed to play with Sparklers. They were nice memories.

I'm not sure how far the superstitions surrounding "New Years" stretch, but in the southern United States, where I grew up, my Mother always said that whatever you were doing on the first day of the new year would be an indication of how your whole year would be. This is a generalization of course, there are many variations of the superstitions surrounding New Year's Day. (These include kissing your love at midnight, making lots of noise at midnight to chase away evil spirits, not washing clothes on New Year's Day or risk losing a family member, and much more see Top Ten New Year's Day Superstitions).

So Mom always cooks Black Eyed Peas on New Year's Day for good luck, that's her biggy. You should eat these to ensure that you have good luck all year long. (For northerners, I believe this is usually white beans, or great northern beans).

Then of course, a big deal growing up and even through adulthood is the song, "Auld Lang Syne". Most everyone will know this, but here are the lyrics first, then the 'translated' ones after.


Auld Lang Syne
(original lyrics)
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o’ lang syne!
Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne,
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet
For auld lang syne!
We twa hae run about the braes,
And pu’d the gowans fine,
But we’ve wander’d mony a weary foot
Sin’ auld lang syne.
We twa hae paidl’t in the burn
Frae morning sun till dine,
But seas between us braid hae roar’d
Sin’ auld lang syne.
And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere,
And gie’s a hand o’ thine,
And we’ll tak a right guid willie-waught
For auld lang syne!
And surely ye’ll be your pint’ stoup,
And surely I’ll be mine!
And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet
For auld lang syne!



Which It's said Translates into--->

~Times Long Gone~
Should old acquaintances be forgotten,
And never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintances be forgotten,
And days of long ago !
Chorus:
For old long ago, my dear
For old long ago,
We will take a cup of kindness yet
For old long ago.
We two have run about the hillsides
And pulled the daisies fine,
But we have wandered many a weary foot
For old long ago.
We two have paddled (waded) in the stream
From noon until dinner time,
But seas between us broad have roared
Since old long ago.
And there is a hand, my trusty friend,
And give us a hand of yours,
And we will take a goodwill draught (of ale)
For old long ago!
And surely you will pay for your pint,
And surely I will pay for mine!
And we will take a cup of kindness yet
For old long ago!


I like it better the "mysterious" original way myself...


Happy 2009 To Everyone. As it says in the above pic:
"This Year, take time to enjoy wonders of Life,
Have a Nice An Prosperous 2009".


2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too Jackie dear! I love this post and thanks so much for posting the words to Auld Lang Syne. I like the mysterious version too! :)

    I hope everyone out there has a fantastic 2009. Lots of love and good wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to keep a little mystery eh?? Yes Happy New Year to everyone, and may you have the most Childlike year possible! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails