Monday, December 08, 2008

Remembering John Lennon

"You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are! "




John Lennon: 9 Oct 1940 - 8 Dec 1980


Who can forget that sad December day so long ago? I was in elementary school, second grade in fact but I vividly remember when I first heard the news of John's death. My father gasped out loud. My brother and I came running to the TV set (mum was at work, we told her over the phone). The shock and horror of it all left everyone speechless. I remember CBS reporting the news in a continuous loop and we watched all evening. Images of John and Yoko filled the screen. I was processing everything. There was so much hurt it seemed, over one man's death. There still is. It wasn't until many years had passed that I could actually comprehend the gravity of it all.




At least his music and his words remain. Sleep well John. You can share your memories of John here.


"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people."

"My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all."

"Surrealism had a great effect on me because then I realized that the imagery in my mind wasn't insanity. Surrealism to me is reality."

"Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty."

2 comments:

  1. I love John, and I am inspired even today by his songwriting, and his ideals. He was a wonderful figure in music history and a very cool man.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He definitely was in a league of his own. His music is very healing, even though you can feel the sadness of his loss. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jax. Great comment by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails