Monday, December 15, 2008

Under The Tree: Memories of Vic

Growing up, my family was not rich by any means, most times we barely made it by. But somehow, my parents always came through for Christmas. I don't know how, but they did.

It had to be the Christmas of around 1982 when I got my Commodore Vic 20. We couldn't afford all of the gadgets that came with it, so all I got was the keyboard, but still I felt as lucky as could be. It plugged into our regular t.v., and came with a handbook of all of the little computer programs that you could use with it. Never did I get much constructive work done with it, but I learned how to make it play musical scales, I learned how to print fun pictures and patterns to the screen, and I played games with my friends.

This is what the game cartridges looked like:

I only had two games: GORF and Cosmic Cruncher. That was all I needed. Both of them were "space" games, one more like Pac-man and the other, Gorf, a bit more on the Asteroids side. Many weekends were spent with my best friend Kathy, playing Gorf and so much more.

I couldn't find a "screenshot" of the Cosmic Cruncher game, but this was what the box for the cartridge looked like. It was a fun game, but we didn't play it as much as Gorf.


Here's a screenshot of what Gorf gameplay looked like with the Vic 20. Ah the memories.

Thanks to my Mother and Father, I always had some sort of Christmas magic... that will live in my heart forever. Here's to you "Vic", thanks for the memories.

7 comments:

  1. Many thanks go out to you Jax for posting this.

    I can't tell you how many hours were spent playing on our Vic 20 and later Commodore 64. We had GORF and for the Commodore 64 we had some type of race car game. I can't remember what it was called. I wouldn't have even remembered GORF if it wasn't for your entry! :)

    This totally took me back Jackie. Even those cartridges...I'd forgotten about those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I took Chells back in'a Day!!!

    I wish sometimes it was still 1982.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post man!
    I am about retrocomputing, and I do actually collect VIC20! I've several VICs and many many games, including the two you are posting about :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is so cool to run into people (thanks to blogging!) that this maybe touches, or brings a smile to their face.

    The Vic was cool, good luck to you with that and I hope you enjoy your collecting!

    Thanks for popping by our playground... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check this out :-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEI7mm8M7Q

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this, which is ballistic:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdGkkp1aq8

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I love that clip, thank you so much for sharing the links. I'll definitely have to post them here!

    Cheers

    PS: thanks for following our blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails