Thursday, February 26, 2009

RIP Miss Brahms


Wendy Richard as "Miss Brahms"

As I've said before, my childhood would not have been the same without those delightfully wacky and irreverent comedies from our friends across the pond. Are You Being Served? (1972-1985) a Britcom about the happenings in a fictional department store in London was beloved in our home. The over the top characters, including Wendy Richard's shop girl, "Miss Brahms", were as memorable as the crazy adventures they took us on. If you've seen the show, you'll know what I mean.

And so when I heard of the sad passing of Wendy Richard who later in her career played one of my favorites in adulthood: EastEnders' "Pauline Fowler", I paused for a moment or two and thought about how long I've enjoyed her performances and how they brought such joy into my life, from childhood onwards into adulthood. It's been quite a journey. Its interesting how I can remember moments of my own journey via her earlier performances.

Rest in peace Wendy Richard and Thank You.


The cast of "Are You Being Served?"

Images: via guardian.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. The Lasting Tribute website has updated its memorial pages to include Wendy Richard.

    http://www.lastingtribute.co.uk/tribute/richard/2918486

    It's a respectful memorial to her and somewhere to pay tribute to her fortitude in fighting her illness.

    EVERY comment is monitored so that nothing offensive or inappropriate is published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing that with us Patrick. Much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that show very much... I didn't know she passed away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loves this show. My brother and I also liked her in EastEnders. I'll have to check out that tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails