Thursday, April 30, 2009

RIP Ernie Barnes


One of Barnes' many portraits featured on Good Times

We've lost some brilliant folks this past week.

Ernie Barnes, the artist and athlete who graciously allowed fictional character "J.J. Evans", to take credit for the masterpieces presented weekly on the 70s sitcom Good Times, sadly died this week at the age of 70. One of his most famous pieces was "Sugar Shack" (1971), a painting adapted for Marvin Gaye's album entitled "I Want You" (see image below).

Visit his official website for a gallery of work that will take your breath away.


image: New York Times

RIP Ernie Barnes 1938-2009.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... he was a great artist. I remember always being moved by the art on those intros.

    R.I.P. Guy... great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails