Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Frogs and Toads All Sang


© 1970 by Arnold Lobel

Hooray, there's a new addition to the world of Frog and Toad!

"The Frogs and Toads All Sang" is a collection of ten rhyming stories written and illustrated by Arnold Lobel (1933-1987) well before his aforementioned and more famously known amphibian series debuted in the 1970s. According to Lobel's daughter Adrianne (who added color to her late father's recent publication), the stories were originally given by Lobel as gifts to friends. In fact, she discovered her father's manuscript last year, at an estate auction:

"In a box they found these three beautifully bound pamphlets that my father had handwritten and illustrated with little pencil, thumbnail sketches. These books were poems about frogs and toads" - Adrianne Lobel (via NPR)




According to Harper Collins the collection has:

"the same warmth, compassion, and humor that is found in his best-loved work. Brimming with sweet silliness, this new book reminds us why Arnold Lobel's characters continue to be so popular years after debut."

Without further ado: time to go sing with the frogs...and of course the toads.

Read my previous post on Frog and Toad.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cool. Its like a prequel. Very nice cover too. Love those childrens books and still as fascinated with them as ever, just like with my love of cartoons.
    I always loved looking at all the pictures in books when I was kid and I would do it over and over. I also had a few favorites too but those books have since disappeared only to be remembered as memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh so cute. I am not familiar with it though I love frogs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails