Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson



August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009

"Have you seen my childhood?
I'm searching for
The world that I come from
'Cause I've been looking around
In the lost and found
Of my heart
No one understands me."- Childhood

Whether or not you appreciated his triad of (overwhelming) talent, celebrity or eccentricities there's no denying that Michael Jackson supplied a distinctive soundtrack to the lives of children who began their formative journeys in the 70s and 80s. Amid the fears and joys, friends and foes, kinfolk and strangers that colored our earliest adventures, there was also that voice lingering somewhere in the background. His passing, in particular, has reminded many of their childhoods: the internet has exploded with memories, perceptions, tunes and hapless dance moves.

It’s ironic that a man who lost his childhood to the trappings of fame, a burgeoning music career and an abusive father would help reconnect others to their own. He never stopped looking for that elusive item, friendship or quality that would recapture his boyhood. And those of us who enjoy reminiscing about our childhoods know, that while you can remember, visualize, document, cry, laugh, or regret you simply can’t go back. And there’s the rub. This poor soul: so damaged, so gifted and so loving never overcame the loss and remained childlike, ever exploring.

"People say I'm not okay
'Cause I love such elementary things
It's been my fate to compensate
For the child
I've never known."

Here’s hoping that Michael Jackson has finally found the idyllic childhood he spent a lifetime searching for. Rest and play in peace, in that far off sunny land.

2 comments:

  1. It was sad but it has been so way overdone by now... he just needs to rest in peace but I guess for stars of that magnitude they are forced to shine forever even when they only want to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Jackie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails