Friday, October 09, 2009

The One About Droppings

A re-posting from my old blog.

I don't know why this memory came to mind but it did.

When I was about four years old, my family took a trip to the metro Toronto Zoo. I always enjoyed trips to the zoo: observing the animals and seeing all the displays had its reward, especially the monkey pit—for some reason on school trips it was one location where I made significant friendships (with real people that is, not that I didn't try with the monkeys). There's one recollection from one of our family sojourns that always sticks with me. My mum and I were casually observing the giraffes, remarking at how elegant and graceful they looked with those elongated necks. Then it happened. A baby giraffe rather nonchalantly dropped a few circular-shaped orbs from its bottom. I was horrified (being so little and the occurrence being so gross), as if my feathers had been ruffled (if I had feathers mind you). Naturally, my mum was disgusted (being that mums for some reason are exempt from farting and the like). But the baby giraffe carried on as if it hadn't done something so foul in front of throngs of onlookers. It seemed quite content and somehow still considerably elegant. And as the years have passed, whenever I see a giraffe (even the Toys 'R Us guy), I'm always reminded instantly of that experience. It's heightened my awareness of the powers of association.

I'm also aware that this entry is entirely about giraffe droppings.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! Funny the things we remember.


    So sorry I haven't been able to regularly come around. I feel terrible about it.

    Just had so much to do at work, and just little time I barely keep up! I'm working on it.

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange how we always remember poo-related things.

    And no probs, I've been the same way too. Think of IMMC as your online cottage. Drop by whenever and hangout - a home away from home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails