Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Chalkboard

When I was eight years old, I made a Lucy Pevensie type of discovery. Miss Pevensie, of course being the youngest child in the fictional British family made famous by C.S. Lewis' tale The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. You'll recall that one day, the little girl accidentally stumbles upon a secret wardrobe—one that provides entry into the magical land of Narnia.

Now, I didn't uncover a magical land, well not literally nor did I stumble upon a secret wardrobe. Still with me? Let me explain. I often played with the assorted contents (all fragrant, colourful and stylish) on mum's dresser, often pausing to pose in front of the large and lovely mirror that enveloped it. One day, I dropped one of the assorted items behind the dresser. My brother quickly helped me reach it by moving the dresser a few inches forward. Low and behold, within the confines of the wall opposite and the back of said dresser, it appeared: the secret chalkboard, hidden in the recesses of mum's old dresser. Tall as it was wide, the lovely green board stood before us, waiting. Waiting for our imaginations to carry us away. Waiting, also for those pieces of chalk, that we would soon swipe from school. When you have asshole teachers, it's the least you can do.

Okay, so the experience was slightly similar to that of the family Pevensie and even though I didn't encounter Mr. Tumnus upon arrival, I did encounter many magical moments—ones I created. The hours slipped away with joy and laughter. Friends and cousins were both delighted by and envious of our secret playground. Perhaps our experience was more reminiscent of Simon and his magical land of chalk drawings. Our drawings seemingly came to life but unlike Simon, we didn't have to climb a ladder to meet them, we just had to pull mum's dresser a few inches forward.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the Chronicles of Narnia. I have all the books. Usually once a year or 2 I love to indulge in a world beyond this one. Loads of fun.
    Simon and his chalk world was great imagination refuge too.
    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that K_Tigress! Happy New Year to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy these memories. Chells tells em so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you so much Jackie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me about this book - I can't believe I forgot to include it as one of my childhood favourites. I remember seeing a cartoon of this in the 80s. I wish that I could find a DVD of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails