Thursday, April 01, 2010

In the Land of Reading

As a child, my escape route from an abusive home were through books. I devoured all literature that came in the form of the following:
  1. Nancy Drew
  2. R. L. Stine
  3. Stephen King
  4. Wish Bone
  5. And whatever else caught my eye
My personal favorite was Nancy Drew. There was just something so appealing about a mystery.
I became known as a bookworm. Every school I went to, I always found my way to the library.
As a result, I also began making up my own stories and roping my younger brother and sister into acting them out with myself as the director, and of course writer.
Reading is where imagination first begins to take form. There isn't one single writer out there who isn't a reader.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful inaugural post! So happy you are here with us. :)

    I don't know what I would have done without books and storytelling. It was both a saving grace and the making of me. I also used to act out stories with my brother - we had such great times reading, acting and improvising.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Drew was great!! I remember that and a few Agatha Christie books when I finally got into them, but I never did enough reading :) I love to write.

    So glad to welcome you to our little playground!! Aunt Jackie :)

    (sorry too lazy to switch from my other acct)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, welcome to the blog! We're glad to have a new contributor. Yay> :)

    I remember Nancy Drew fondly, as well as Agatha Christie books (which of course was a little later).

    Mystery was a big part of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read Agatha Christie but I do like mysteries more than any other genre so I should have. Probably would have liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you'll love it! Reading an Agatha Christie tale is a treat indeed (esp. Poirot and Marple).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, master sleuth. Nothing like a good Sherlock tale.

    PS: I also loved reading Nancy Drew (esp. The Ghost of Blackwood Hall) and Encyclopedia Brown as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never really read Nancy Drew. I was into the Little House On The Prarie series and the Bobbsey Twins. My grandma got me into Agatha Christie in the early 80s- I always liked Poirot better than Miss Marple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello LaraAnn:
    Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Oh the Bobbsey Twins! I read one and loved it. I'd choose Poirot over Marple too. He's just wonderful. I was a huge fan of the Little House TV series but only read the first book. I recall being mesmerized by it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails