Sunday, June 20, 2010

Atticus Finch: A Father Like No Other


"It was times like these when I thought my father,
who hated guns and had never been to any wars,
was the bravest man who ever lived."
- Jean Louise Finch (Scout), To Kill a Mockingbird


Next month, Harper Lee's classic and Pulitzer Prize winning novel To Kill a Mockingbird turns fifty. In light of this approaching milestone and with today being Father's Day, it seemed appropriate to honour Atticus Finch: one of the most beloved characterizations of a father to ever grace a novel or be presented on film. But don't just take my word for it . . . reacquaint yourself with some of Atticus' wise words:



"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

"I don't know (on how they could convict Tom Robinson), but they did it.  They've done it before and they did it tonight and they'll do it again and when they do it - seems that only children weep."

"When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake.  But don't make a production of it.  Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em."

"So it took an eight-year-old child to bring 'em to their senses....That proves something - that a gang of wild animals can  be stopped, simply because they're still human.  Hmp, maybe we need a police force of children."

"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

"Thank you for my children, Arthur."



"Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing." - Reverend Sykes



4 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite movies and books. I did a term paper on it in high school. Gregory Peck is one of my favourite actors too. I enjoyed this post alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/20/2010

    Fifty years ago I was a radio operator on a Pacific atoll with not much to do. I spent most of my time reading "To Kill a Mockingbird".

    It changed my life forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara Ann: I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role of Atticus. Gregory Peck owned that role. The children were cast perfectly too. A gem of a film. So happy you liked the post. :)

    Anonymous: what a fantastic comment! Thanks so much for sharing. "To Kill a Mockingbird" changed my life too. Harper Lee gave us all a gift, one that keeps on giving - regardless of how many years roll on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know this one... but I do miss Rue McLanahan. :)

    Loved the Golden Girls.

    Hey, sorry I am trying to keep up hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails