Friday, September 03, 2010

The First Day of School

Those last glorious moments of freedom before September dropped you off onto the doorstep of another school year, were in my experience, rather taxing. There was always an intense denial or downplaying of the eventuality of freedom's end. Even when the crisp, fresh aroma of newly purchased school supplies gave you the conqueror's spirit...

...there were always pangs.

No more waking up late and running rampant. The explorations, excavations, and consumption of mummy's special fried cookies at all hours of the day, would have to end. There would be different explorations in the coming months, surely. There would be other cookies too. But summertime and school time exploits were galaxies apart.

If you were a complete novice to the school experience, there were conflicting perceptions to contend with as well. Neighborhood children painted troublesome pictures of school life while adults assured us otherwise. An avid fan of Little Rascals, I even imagined the 1970s world outside my door to be in black and white.

One would have to accept, face and adapt to life's changes. Like it or not.


The First Day of School - Aileen Fisher

I wonder if my drawing will be as good as theirs
I wonder if they'll like me, or just be full of stares
I wonder if my teacher will look like mom or gram
And I wonder if my puppy will wonder where I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails