Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy 50th Flintstones!

It's been 50 years since our favourite pre-historic family entered the airwaves, revolutionizing cartoons, introducing Ann Margrock, Stoney Curtis and Gary Granite into our lexicons and paving the way for the likes of The Simpsons and others that followed. When I was in elementary school, The Flintstones would air at noon every weekday on CFTO—an unfortunate time-slot for the many children who were en route to school after their lunch break or in the school lunch room at that allotted time. Children who had later lunch breaks of course could indulge in an episode while washing down a sandwich with a glass of milk. For those of us in the former group, days off from school were thus joyous occasions not simply for the escape and extra playing time but for that extra special reason: a day where one could watch an episode of The Flintstones in its entirety and in peace. It was delightful.

The gang: Dino, Wilma, Pebbles, Fred, Betty, Bam-Bam and Barney

It's hard to narrow down a favourite episode but if I had to select one, it would be the Ann Margrock episode. Er, excuse me, I meant the Ann Margret episode. Such was the (brilliant) conditioning.

2 comments:

  1. My brother and I enjoyed this and most of the Hanna Barbera cartoons when we were kids. Hard to believe it's been around for that long. Makes me feel kind of old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 50 years. Go fig.
    Go Flintstones!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails