Saturday, October 16, 2010

So Long Mrs. Cleaver


Barbara Billingsley: December 22, 1915 – October 16, 2010

You didn't have to grow up in the 1950s to know that Barbara Billingsley played June Cleaver, Beaver's mom. June was the perfect homemaker, a doting mother and stylishly dressed wife. Her home was beautifully clean and organized. She never seemed overly stressed and was contented to let her husband Ward be both bread winner and advice giver in the household. Leave it to Beaver was one of those childhood discoveries many of us made in the decades that followed the show's original run (1957 - 1963). Sure it was more post-war fantasy than reality but who cares, it was also pure comfort and fun.

It was with much sadness to learn of Barbara Billingley's passing today. A childhood icon indeed but also a smart, funny and as evidenced by her performance in Airplane, totally with it actress. RIP Barbara.

3 comments:

  1. Heard about this last night.
    So sad.
    But she at least had a full and long life.

    Leave it to Beaver was always on at either lunch time or after school when I was little.
    But then when ever its on where ever, My mom will be sure to have it tuned in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, so sweet. My mum loved watching Leave it to Beaver too.

    I too recall that Beaver was always on at lunch time when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad, brother and I would watch this together sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails