Monday, December 13, 2010

Mole's Christmas: Dulce Domum




















Mole's Christmas is a delightful 1994 animation based on Dulce Domum a beautiful chapter from one of my favourite childhood reads: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham. Dulce Domum translates to "sweet home" or "sweetly at home".

One snowy Christmas eve, along the distant journey back to Ratty's house (after a visit to the Badger's in the Wild Wood), Mole catches the scent of something familiar - his beloved and long lost home at Mole End.

'I know it's a -- shabby, dingy little place,' he sobbed forth at last, brokenly: 'not like -- your cosy quarters -- or Toad's beautiful hall -- or Badger's great house -- but it was my own little home -- and I was fond of it -- and I went away and forgot all about it -- and then I smelt it suddenly -- on the road, when I called and you wouldn't listen, Rat -- and everything came back to me with a rush -- and I wanted it! -- O dear, O dear! -- and when you wouldn't turn back, Ratty -- and I had to leave it, though I was smelling it all the time -- I thought my heart would break. -- We might have just gone and had one look at it, Ratty -- only one look -- it was close by -- but you wouldn't turn back, Ratty, you wouldn't turn back! O dear, O dear!'

The longing for his forgotten little abode overwhelms the gentle chap to tears until his good friend kindly steps in and pledges to help him locate Mole End. Before long Mole and Ratty are settled in, comforted by the warmth of a crackling fire, cups of Blackcurrant cordial, a hearty supper and a merry chorus of giggly, young field mice for company and song.

Dulce Domum is a wonderful read for Christmastime or any moment when one is longing for the comforts of home. Click on the passage above to enjoy the story as written by Kenneth Graham or watch the adapted animation below.









part 2 and part 3.

4 comments:

  1. I never had that particular book series growing up. I mostly had any old Golden book. Oh and those Disney record story book combination's which wasn't necessarily a bad thing since I had no one to read to me growing up.

    But as for discovering new reads even if they're directed to a younger crowd, its never too late to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's never too late to enjoy a good story! I loved those Golden Books (and still buy ones I missed reading as a child). The Disney record/story books were wonderful. I used to borrow similar record/book combos from my elementary school library. There was nothing better than following a story in print while it was being read to you on the record player. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be able to buy or obtain this - "Mole's Christmas" on dvd somewhere. I have checked Amazon and it's not easy to find.

    I saw it first on Christmas Day back in 1994 as it was first shown on British television and it has stayed in my mind since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joe, I see we're kindred spirits when it comes to Christmas specials. :) It is indeed difficult to find Mole's Christmas for purchase on dvd. I downloaded the clips above from YouTube and rewatch them during the holidays. Can't go through Christmas without Mole and Ratty. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails