Friday, April 29, 2011

Looney Tunes: Wild Wife






































Wild Wife (episode 216 from season 48 of Looney Tunes) aired on March 10, 1954. The episode gave us both an idealized snapshot of 1950s domestic life and a cheeky nod to the underlying discontent of the time. It's one of my favorite Looney Tunes episodes: the depiction of 1950s life - both real and sentimental, the animation, the wife's journey and the voices of the actors, all lend to its charm.

Here's a link to view the episode or watch it below:




A description from TV.com:

"A harried housewife is criticized by her male-chauvinist husband, who remarks that she doesn't make effective use of her time during the day and insinuates that she doesn't finish her chores because of laziness. The wife replies by telling of a typical day plagued by a troublesome vacuum cleaner, a long wait in a bank, bulk purchases at a department store, and a parking ticket imposed after city workers suddenly installed a fire hydrant next to the space where she had parked. When her husband refuses to be sympathetic about her long and difficult day, she takes a rolling pin and gives him a swift whack on his head."

14 comments:

  1. This cartoon randomly popped into my mind today and I've been scouring the internet looking for a clip of it...which lead me to your awesome site! Any idea where to find this online?

    I'll continue to read your work.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been able to find this video online, unfortunately. I'll ask around and see what I can do.

    Thank you so much for visiting and reading this blog. Much appreciated. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know if you find it, Chelly. I'll do the same if I happen to come across it. Keep up the great work with your site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brigid! Here's a link to the episode: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xilbsg_ww_shortfilms

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link, Chelly! You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thank you! Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/13/2011

    thank you so much for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are very welcome, enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12/02/2012

    Oh my goodness.... For some reason, I loved this episode when I was little! I think I just loved how it depicted the era or something.... Thanks for posting! Couldn't find it online anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved this episode since I was a child for the same reasons. A classic for sure. Enjoy! So happy you could visit. :-)

      Delete
  10. Anonymous2/01/2013

    Thanks for posting the video! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! :)

      Delete
  11. Anonymous9/09/2013

    I was searching for this cartoon for years!! I watched it on TV in the 80's when I was a child. Thank you very much for this gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're very welcome! Enjoy. It's an absolute treasure. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails