Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pepperidge Farm

source: eBay

































To this day, my memories of Pepperidge Farm's frozen Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake resurface with the same vigor and drool-worthy effect the actual product induced when I was in elementary school. It was that blessed delight that awaited you after a hard day of school or that temptation which pushed thoughts of Jesus out of your mind during elongated Saturday morning church sermons. Whoever granted chocolate cake such magical powers must be applauded. The Pepperidge variety in particular were incomparable to our young minds. As mundane as it may have seemed to onlookers, for my brother and I, our Pepperidge Farm cake eating ritual was legendary and still referred to with a reverence typically reserved for solemn occasions. Tiptoeing to the freezer in our PJ's, sweaters and socks with our favourite blue saucers and stainless steel spoons in hand, we began our chocolatey adventure.

 
My brother (being older) would also come equipped with a knife or butter knife (and when no available knife was in sight, a spoon did the trick). He cut slices like a proper chocolate cake surgeon would. I assisted the surgery by holding up the saucers and spoons. No matter how small a piece remained, we always shared it equally. The cake came in those lovely red-bordered rectangular boxes which one had to disassemble methodically - in order to open the box from the top. This task was never allotted to me: my family could always tell when I opened a box of anything new because I always botched the job (to this day, I cannot open boxes - or envelopes properly). Whenever possible we added a dollop of Chapman's ice cream (how I loved the two little kids on the box) to the mix. We seemed to always have an endless supply of Neapolitan ice cream in our home (doesn't everyone?). I savored every last morsel, lingering in its splendor. Tasty things have a way of disappearing quickly. One had to make the most of it.

8 comments:

  1. For me, it was Sara Lee chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. My mother and I often shared one, in one sitting. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly! Oh yes that was yummy too! Mmm, chocolate frosting. Everything tastes better with chocolate frosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the way you described this cake makes me want to have a slice of it right now. I do remember mom getting us the yellow cake with chocolate icing variety sometimes. I agree- I love chocolate frosting. I'd always pick the cupcakes with this at parties. Mom loved that Pepperidge Farm goldfish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this cake. Grandma always served it. I could swear Sara Lee made one very similar, I could be wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stepmother made one cake stretch through seven people for our dessert...Thank God you can still find them in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, aw thanks for sharing that about your stepmother. So sweet. If I still found this cake, I'd pass out for sure.

    Thanks Shelly, Lara, Ally and Mimi for the great comments. Loved reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved these cakes, the spice cake was the BEST! I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails