Tuesday, July 12, 2011

RIP Sherwood Schwartz 1916-2011


Sherwood Schwartz the beloved creator of Gilligan's Island and Brady Bunch passed away today at the age of 94. As evidenced by the posthumous letter revealed to fans (and penned by the man himself), Schwartz indeed lived a good life, one filled with love, success and happiness. It's fitting that a man who inspired so much happiness in so many childhoods, lived a happy life. Fitting indeed.

Without a doubt, my childhood would not have been the same without the fascinating Brady brood or those delightfully eccentric and bumbling island bound group of seven. They were friends, when friends were scarce. They were babysitters, when 12-hour shifts beckoned. They were sources of inspiration, when a bedroom full of toys and empty cardboard boxes lay waiting on a Sunday afternoon. They were the balm for the inevitable disappointments, hurt and exhaustion that schooldays sometimes brought forth. They introduced impressive dance moves, far out clothing, and groovy songs for each succeeding generation. I learned some killer acting skills from watching many a Gilligan's Island dream sequence. I can still say:

"Just a poor cockney flower girl, that's all Ah is! But Ah owes everything to Doctor Gilligan. 'E taught me to walk, and to talk, and to dress, like a regular LADY! 'E give me real CLASS 'e did! " à la cockney Mary Ann in the Jekyll and Hyde episode - replete with nose blowing.

And George Glass. Who didn't have a George Glass (or...er in some cases, a "Jean-Claude")?






There are far too many items to list to be grateful for. So I'll just say, thank you Sherwood, for everything.

7 comments:

  1. I read his obituary in the paper this morning and was thinking about the good memories of watching The Brady Bunch with my brother when we were kids. We watched Gilligan too but weren't as into that. It sounds like these shows were a really important part of your life and that the characters were like friends to you. Such a terrific tribute post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lara! Yes, indeed they (BB and GI) had a special place in my after school rituals for many a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelly; I came over to visit your blog after reading your nice comments on Pam's "Sunny Site Up" (thank you) & wow you have a lot of good stuff here!

    I especially enjoy your pieces on the Brady Bunch as that was my favorite show growing up. This was a nice tribute to Sherwood Schwartz.

    FYI, if you're curious--awhile back I was watching an old Brady episode, decided to find out what happened to a person who guest-starred on their show, and wound up having a friendly chat with her that same day! I loved having the opportunity so much I blogged about it:

    http://apachedugs.blogspot.com/2010/10/unsinkable-molly-webber-wait-thats-not.html

    Well, I'm going to go back to reading some of your blogs--have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ApacheDug: yay, so happy to see you here! Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am a HUGE Brady Bunch fan. I won a Brady calendar in a contest a few years back and I have never even put it up. I kept it locked and sealed - like an crazy fan would do. It had some amazing pics of the family, I think I should scan them and share them with my fellow Brady lovers.

    I am going to head on over to your post right now. Cannot wait to read it.

    Thanks for visiting and come again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelly, thanks so much for the nice comments you left on that blog; we should co-team a blog for die-hard Brady Nuts, because I CAN'T STOP READING your comment below about winning a Brady calendar in that contest & keeping it sealed up. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it pristine, but man I am dying to see it! I'll just keep checking back to "Miss my Childhood" and hoping someday you weaken ;) Haha!

    Thanks again for the kind words Chelly, looking forward to more of your childhood memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for your kind words Doug! I will dig up that calendar and put it to good use by scanning the pics and sharing them with my fellow Bradyaholics. :) I like your Brady blog idea. I left you a note on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chelly, looking forward to seeing your Brady calendar! And thank you for all your kind words as well, I've enjoyed our "chats" :) As for the Brady Blog-site idea, there's a lot to think about there, let me get back to you on that. Hope you have a good week ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails