Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The Ronettes - Be My Baby

"1965 I was wearing my tight chino's, white socks and cockroach killers, brill cream, an ID bracelet, never could afford a leather jacket. Carried my transistor radio with me, just in case a new song came out . Miss those days."
- 1952kid

The quote above is from a comment left by a YouTuber in response to a video of The Ronettes singing "Be My Baby" circa 1965 (see clip below). The quote captures the very sentiment of this blog: a longing for days past. Sometimes I must admit, I get a longing for days well before my past.



GoRetroPam's entry on Martha and the Vandellas inspired me to share my love of girl groups from the 60s. The Crystals, The Ronettes, The Shirelles, The Chiffons and Martha and the V's were a few of my favourites. In fact, music from both the 50s and 60s have appealed to me since I was a tyke. During my teen years I would listen to the oldie stations every weekend and imagine what it would be like growing up during those decades. The music, the dance moves, the fashions, the politics, the culture of the day, the romance...what a different time. My mum was a child and teenager during those decades but she grew up in a strict Christian household, and in India, so her knowledge of music (which later evolved considerably) initially only included gospel, country western (brought over by American missionaries) and Indian. Had she grown up in America, perhaps her teenage experience would have been different. I'm convinced that had I grown up during that era, I would've been at home dancing in front of the TV set or mirror with my hair brush-microphone much like Tracy Turnblad in the original Hairspray (1988 - watch the original trailer). Ok, I confess, I sometimes still do this.

So sit back and enjoy. And if you're like me, grab that hair brush and practice those dance moves. And if perchance you were born at a later time, imagine the days that might have been.

PS: Just had to add "He's So Fine" by The Chiffons to this post. One of my all time favourite oldies from the girl group era:

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I was able to get here. I love this song too, and all the groups that you mentioned. My parents would listen to the oldies station so I'd hear these kinds of songs and more that I thought were so good. If I ever get a time machine, you are welcome to come along with me. Sometimes I dream about going to concerts of all the performers that I love - Nat King Cole was in one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, why thank you, I'd love to come on board your time machine - so let me know when you get one ;). We'd have so much fun. Just think of the hairdos we'd have and the dance moves we'd rock! Lots of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving GoRetro a shout out, Chelly! I love the girl groups of 60s Motown, too. I'm on board for a time machine trip, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails