Friday, October 21, 2011

Lost and Found

My copy of It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown circa the early 80s.















It's not exactly the time of year to be discussing painted eggs and magical bunny rabbits carrying said eggs or more appropriately for this post, magical beagles. Carved pumpkins and spooky goblins, ghosts or witches are the typical mid-to-late October fare of discourse. The reason for this out-of-season Easter post is that after decades of wishing that I would one day recover but one of my lost and most beloved Charlie Brown paper back books (from the Scholastic Book Services series circa the early 80s), it indeed happened. Like a sunken treasure that makes its way back to land, my copy of "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" came home.

It was returned to me by an older cousin visiting from Florida—it had been in her mother's house a few blocks away from me. All these years, and it was in my own neighbourhood. I have no idea how my aunt came to have the book in her possession. I screamed in delight when my cousin presented the book (apparently it had called a cardboard box its home for many a year). Books have always been like good friends for me. Charlie Brown and his gang of misfits were that and so much more, they were family...kindred spirits and not a week passed by in childhood when my brother and I did not refer to them. I carried that book with me everywhere (as you can surely see from the wear and tear on its edges). And as many children do, I wrote my name and address on the cover (I blurred this in the images below) and on several pages inside, if perchance someone wasn't sure who the book belonged to. Books were and still are akin to treasures. And homecomings are always lovely.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased that this book found it's way back to you. There are many books from my childhood that I wish that I could have back now like the Bobbsey Twins that I foolishy sold at a flea market for next to nothing. I wrote my name in some books too but then my Aunt got me these cool stickers with from the library of and my full name on them. I'd love to have more Peanuts books, that's for sure. I loved seeing your Easter one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a book returned to me in quite the same fashion, but I have come across a few I'd forgotten about hidden away in cardboard boxes in my own house. It's always like a reunion with an old friend. I never had the Easter Beagle adaption, but I had quite a few other Charlie Brown story adaptions. Before the days of DVDs or even VCRs, it was like getting to watch the show anytime you wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails