Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Chanukah

Oh dreidel dreidel dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play


Chanukah is celebrated this year from December 20 to 28.

Growing up in a diverse city, I had friends who observed assorted religions/belief systems and accordingly celebrated wide-ranging holidays. Some were from multi-faith families who happily celebrated each of their family's respective traditions. Others were from single faith families and shared their customs with friends of other faiths. There was never any ill will or hatred. I only ever remember mutual respect and support. People were different. We got that. We embraced it. Friends were friends, end of.

I fondly remember learning The Dreidel Song as a child. We sang along with our Jewish friends with as much joy and anticipation for the approaching holiday season, as we did when singing Christmas carols. Those were happy times. Happy Chanukah everyone!

The Dreidel Song
I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play

CHORUS

Oh dreidel dreidel dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play

It has a lovely body
With legs so short and thin
And when it is so tired
It drops and then I win!

CHORUS

My dreidel's always playful
It loves to dance and spin
A happy game of dreidel
Come play now, let's begin!

CHORUS

7 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas or Chanukah or etc. to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks darlin! I celebrate Christmas. Merry Christmas to you too. Have a beauty of a day with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Chelly!

    It sounds like you had a great childhood, learning all sorts of holiday traditions. Now go eat some potato latkes and all will be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Chanukah dear Shelly!

    Latkes! Yummy. I could eat a whole plate of them. My mom and dad love them too. Mom used to make them, now we just buy them at the shops down the road! I'm getting hungry now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it more people ate latkes, we'd have world peace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it, I propose a Latke mandate! Oh and some chocolate too.

    Life would surely be grand. That's just good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe its a good thing all these celebrations are occurring at the same time. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice. Maybe we can just have one big party with a Christmas tree, a Menorah, and other cool stuff... and lotsa good food and presents. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Chelly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails