Thursday, December 08, 2011

Remembering John Lennon 1940-1980

"Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun."
























As is customary on this blog, every December 8th we remember John Lennon, musican, poet, activist and dreamer. I vividly remember the day John was shot dead. The sadness, the shock, the eerie silence amid the tears...something beyond a child's scope had happened. I grappled with it that evening as we watched the evening news on CBS. Such a sad place the world could be. This was before the era of CNN and continuous news coverage and yet that night, every station tuned in, repeatedly broadcasting the stunning news. It seemed as though broadcasters and reporters themselves were struggling to make sense of it all. Of the many videos commemorating John Lennon, this raw and moving clip of Howard Cosell announcing John's death during Monday Night Football, December 8, 1980 is something to behold:





CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite December 9, 1980:



Headlines:





















But of course the music remains.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Chelly--I will never forget that night; I had a part-time job at the time, working a couple nights a week & was waiting for my sister to pick me up. She drove up, crying & told me what happened. We sat in the car & listened to the news reports for an hour.

    FYI, I was 18 back then & "Double Fantasy" was the the final LP I bought (before switching from record albums to cassettes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for remembering John Lennon. I was only 8 years old when he passed away and oddly enough do not remember it (I wasn't a Beatles fan yet.) He was a flawed human being but show me someone who isn't...the music will always live on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug: thank you for kind words and for sharing your touching memories. Wow, you sat om the car listening to news reports for an hour. I feel like I can see it in my mind. I love hearing what people were doing on that night and how it effected them. It's so interesting also to see how technology has changed over time—how and when we receive our news now is considerably different from back then.

    Pam: Thanks Pam. I was about the same age too. Such a hard thing to comprehend at that age. We were always Beatles fans and the shock of it all made a huge impact.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails