Wednesday, December 07, 2011

RIP Harry Morgan

Col. Potter: "Tomorrow, the tents of the 4077 will be coming down for good. For an awful long time we've been living together, eating together..."
Soldier: "Sleeping together."
Col. Potter: "Well, I wouldn't know, I have a horse."



"Well, I like fresh corn. I mean real fresh corn. So I think maybe I'll just take a hot plate out to the garden, make a pot of boiling water, then I won't even pick that corn - I'll bend that stalk till the ear dips into the water, and I'll eat it right there standing up. Scrumptious!"

"We order rectal thermometers, we get spark plugs. Both useful articles, but hardly interchangeable." 


Known affectionately to legions of M*A*S*H fans as Colonel Sherman T. Potter, actor Harry Morgan died today at the age of 96. During his career he appeared in ten television series, fifty films and also appeared on Broadway. He spent eleven years playing the stern but compassionate surgeon at the 4077th. With his homespun charm and sharp wit, Potter had some of the best one liners in the series. He was a joy to watch and news of his passing leaves such sadness. Thanks for the memories Harry.

Worth reading: Seven Great Colonel Potter Moments.

Col. Potter: "Goodbye Margaret. I know you've got your career in order, don't forget to have a happy life too."
Maj. Houlihan: "You dear, sweet man. I'll never forget you."


4 comments:

  1. HA! That dry witty charm he exhuded on MASH was truly awesome! What a great actor. He will definitely be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Darrin! He certainly was one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great show and he was one of the main reasons for it being so - 96... good innings

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother and I loved watching this show when we were kids. He has the dvds of all the seasons of it now. I read the obit article in today's paper and cut it out for him. It was nice seeing this tribute clip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails