Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

Like many children of my generation, I first discovered Davy Jones as Marcia Brady's crush, on the Brady Bunch. Marcia's meeting with Davy was one of those curious pop culture moments that lingered and gained prominence, as the decades passed. It was like a key into a different time. The music, the clothes, the hairstyles, the fulfillment of every girl's dream (heart-throbwise)...I loved every bit of it. Marcia's Davy Jones crush far superseded her other less impressive ones (i.e. Harvey Klinger). What was not to love? A good looking Brit with a velvety voice and smooth dance moves. Soon after, I became a Monkees fan. Their TV series had me hooked, owing of course to the catchy tunes and ahem, the crush factor—which extended beyond Marcia's choice of Monkee and included Mickey, Peter and Michael. Each had their merits.

We've lost another lovely soul. Rest in peace, Davy Jones. Thanks for the memories, mate.







7 comments:

  1. The Monkees defined large chunks of my early years... in the days of only 3 TV channels and B&W tvs over school holidays there'd be an hour or two of children's stuff on before about 11am. Robinson Crusoe - can still hear that theme tune... Black Beauty (avoided - I was a boy after all), Banana Splits and... Hey Hey We're The Monkees. Shame he died so young - always struck me as a genuinely nice guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Furtheron: It's such a shame we lost him so young. And he really did seem like a nice guy. I saw a biography on him once (I think it's on YouTube)and he was just lovely.

      Thank you for sharing your childhood memories, I love reading about them. :)

      Delete
    2. PS: Check out this blog post from his family: http://keepupwithjones.davyjones.net/?p=2087

      Delete
  2. My favorite Monkee was Mickey, but Davy's death really saddens me. I was in Junior High when the show first aired and watched it religiously. I've also been fortunate to have seen Davy, Mickey, and Peter when they toured a year or so ago. Damn shame. He's died too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, how wonderful that you saw them in concert!! That must have been such a rush. Mickey's on twitter now, I sent you his address (in case you haven't already discovered it). :)

      PS: here's a lovely blog post by his family: http://keepupwithjones.davyjones.net/?p=2087

      Delete
    2. Got the Twitter link, Chelly. Thanks.

      Yeah, seeing the 3 of them together was great. I've seen both Mickey and Davy a few times before that.

      One thing that's driving me nuts is all the folks posting links to videos. The ones with Davy singing lead are fine tributes, but too many are really songs that Mickey sang lead, like "I'm a Believer." That just doesn't seem right to me somehow.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Chelly-
    The minute I heard about his death I thought of that Brady Bunch episode then of you because I know how much you love that show. I never did get into the Monkees tv show but I have good memories of listening to their greatest hits album with my cousin Mary at her house in the early 80s.

    I also did get to see them in concert in either 2000 or 2001 with my boyfriend. It was at a small venue in Delaware. I am so glad that I had this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails