Saturday, May 19, 2012

RIP Donna Summer

In 1979 Donna Summer's "Bad Girls" LP made it into our family's humble record collection. Alongside (to name a few) KISS, Glen Campbell, John Denver, Crystal Gayle, Lawrence Welk, ABBA, the duo of Lynn & Twitty, Helen Reddy, Merlin's Organ Moods, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and for some reason an ass load of Tennessee Ernie Ford albums, there was Donna. Her two record set stood out. The feisty young woman on the cover with that gorgeous mane of hair, the many photographic vignettes on the insert of the album jacket and those lyrics, all screamed something different. They were bold, they were courageous and they were not akin to anything Lawrence Welk or Tennessee Ernie Ford performed. I obviously did not understand what "Hot Stuff" was about nor did I understand the predicament of those "Bad Girls" but damn, there were lyrics that I could sing along too and lots of fascinating pictures. Donna had a beautiful voice and I had those big ass headphones. It was all good.

RIP Donna Summer. Thanks for the memories.

From the family's rockin' 70s record album archive:



6 comments:

  1. Chelly, this was a sweet tribute--I loved the personal aspect, reading about your family's early record collection brought a real smile to my face. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Doug! I'm so happy you enjoyed the post. :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice, and very personal tribute. I only really got into pop music deeply during my early teens in the '80s. So, my first encounter with Summer's music was "She Works Hard For The Money," from 1983. But I soon got deeper into music, including all the rock and pop from the '70s, and soon became more familiar with Summer's late '70s material. That era would not have been the same without her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lazlo! There was such a distinctive sound back then and so many artists to explore. Donna definitely stood out.

      Delete
  3. RIP

    I was just a little tot when disco was in its craz-faze.
    I remember hearing her music when I was at the Freedom festival when it was called that. It had always reminded me of summer of the distant past with the heat and the crickets chirping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just a kid too when disco came out. I remember being intrigued by it all. Thank you for sharing your memories of her music—that was a lovely one.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails