Tuesday, July 03, 2012

RIP Andy Griffith














"His love of creating, the joy he took in it whether it was drama or comedy or his music, was inspiring to grow up around. The spirit he created on the set of The Andy Griffith Show was joyful and professional all at once. It was an amazing environment. And I think it was a reflection of the way he felt about having the opportunity to create something that people could enjoy. It was always with respect and passion for the opportunity and really what it could offer people in a very unpretentious and earthy way. He felt he was always working in service of an audience he really respected and cared about. He was a great influence on me. His passing is sad. But he lived a great rich life."
Ron Howard 
























 

RIP Andy Griffith 1926-2012

Like clockwork, reruns of The Andy Griffith Show aired at lunchtime right after Leave it to Beaver, five days a week when I was a kid. When my dad came home for lunch, the dial had to be set to Mayberry. It was an unspoken rule in our home. Dad erupted with joy every time the show aired which made me happy because on those occasions when I was home sick or on holiday from school, it meant that the chances of getting scolded for anything were squashed. As I delightfully saw it, he was out of my hair for that time period.



I originally started watching The Andy Griffith Show because it featured younger versions of "Richie Cunningham" (Ron Howard à la Happy Days) and "Mr. Furly" (Don Knotts à la Three's Company). It was not hard to love Andy Griffith's iconic and beloved character sheriff Andy Taylor: a salt of the earth loving dad, loyal nephew, wise friend and compassionate law enforcer to a bumbling yet beautiful town in North Carolina. Griffith's body of work as an actor extended well past the confines of Mayberry. He was also a Grammy award wining singer, an activist, a father and a proud American.

My heart hurt a little when I heard the news of his passing today. RIP lovely man, you will be dearly missed. 



8 comments:

  1. RIP
    Shame that another pop icon great fades to black.
    But at least he brightens to multiple colours in the next life entertaining people located over and behind the rainbow bridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, beautifully said Tina! :)

      Delete
  2. That was a lovely tribute, Chelly. I think this was one of the funniest and best sitcoms that has ever been on television; most shows nowadays pale by comparison. I'm glad it brings back nice memories for you. And who didn't want to visit the town of Mayberry? I know there is a Mayberry festival held each year, I believe in Andy Griffith's hometown. Would be fun to go someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pam! :) It was such a treat watching the Andy Griffith Show. It always put me at ease. I've always lived in a big city and long for the country life. That festival would be a blast to go to.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful tribute! This and Leave It to Beaver are my Dad's favorite shows too. My brother and I used to watch them with him when we were kids. That festival sure sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lara. :)

      Delete
  4. I agree, a lovely tribute Chelly. I think one of my favorite things about Andy Griffith was his love and respect for Don Knotts, so apparent both on the show and in real life. They don't make tv--or men--like Andy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well said Doug. He and Don Knotts were like brothers. They had such great chemistry on the show. Thank you for the kind words. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails