Wednesday, August 15, 2012

RIP Arnold Horshack

RIP Ron Palillo 1949 - 2012

Of all the Sweathogs in Mr. Kotter's remedial Social Studies class at James Buchanan high, I couldn't help but feel a motherly affection for one Arnold Horshack. He was that naive, overly excitable kid with a laugh like a hyena who graced the halls of Gabe Kotter's alma mater in Brooklyn. Everyone knew a kid like Arnold growing up—one who enthusiastically threw their hands up for every question posed in class (whether they knew the answer or not) as if their lives depended on it whilst screaming, "Ooh, ooh, ooh." I used to cower when teachers asked questions, never wanting the limelight. The Arnold Horshack types always fascinated me. What made them tick? What was their urgency? One could theorize on this matter but it's safe to say that without the delightful Arnold Horshacks of this world, classrooms wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

From 1975 to 1979, Ron Palillo played this unforgettable character that amused me greatly as a child. His passing yesterday brings such sadness and so soon after loosing another beloved Sweathog. RIP Ron Palillo and you too, dear sweet Arnold Horshack.



In their heyday:



7 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Sad to see the iconic characters from our childhoods leaving us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words. We've lost so many of them this year. So very sad.

      Delete
  2. A nice tribute Chelly. Gosh, first Epstein back in January & now this one... I know we're all getting older, but 63 just seems too young & too unfair.

    Anyway, I liked that first photo of Ron you showed here, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Doug. :) I can't believe that both Epstein and Horshack are gone. Where did the years go? That's what I felt as soon as I heard the news. I totally agree, 63 is far too young and unfair. I'm glad you liked the first pic, it really captures the essence of Horshack. Feel free to use any pics here.

      Delete
  3. This has not been a good year for fans of 70s TV sitcoms...that was a nice tribute and like you said, I think everyone knew an Arnold Horshack at their school. He was a favorite character for many because he was the enthusiastic underdog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really been a tough year for 70s sitcom fans. Sigh. Horshack was such a lovable underdog. He had some great scenes with his fellow Sweathogs. Thanks for your kind words Pam. I always enjoy reading your comments.

      Delete
  4. RIP

    Looks like he has a few fiends to join him. I heard some director passed and an actor from the show Green Acres also just passed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails