Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Past, Present and Future

A few passages from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: 









































“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!” 

In his agony, he caught the spectral hand. It sought to free itself, but he was strong in his entreaty, and detained it. The Spirit, stronger yet, repulsed him. 

Holding up his hands in a last prayer to have his fate reversed, he saw an alteration in the Phantom’s hood and dress. It shrunk, collapsed, and dwindled down into a bedpost. 

Yes! and the bedpost was his own. The bed was his own, the room was his own. Best and happiest of all, the Time before him was his own, to make amends in! 

“I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!” Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. “The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob; on my knees!” 



























Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him. 

He had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle, ever afterwards; and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God bless Us, Every One!


PS: Merry Christmas to all the lovely people who visit this blog. You are much appreciated and adored. Have a beautiful holiday with your loved ones. Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Very much in the holiday spirit.. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!! (and God Blesss Us one and all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lazlo. Hope you had a lovely Christmas! :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed these excerpts (and they were a good reminder that I gotta be careful, every year I get a little more Scroogier & I'm not ready to be visited by ghosts anytime soon!)

    Chelly, I sure hope you and your loved ones had a nice Christmas--thanks as always for the innocent looks back here, and for your kind friendship :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's far more enjoyable watching Scrooge deal with those ghosts...better him than us! :) :P

      Aww thanks so much Doug. We had a nice quiet Christmas. Good to relax and enjoy the day. Family, food and Christmas specials! Lots of chocolates too.

      Such a lovely comment. So happy you enjoy coming here. And thank you also for your friendship. The TeePee is one of my favorite places to visit. I've met some awesome folks via blogging. Blessed!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails