Saturday, July 20, 2013

Vintage Star Wars: Kenner Action Figures

During the Star Wars frenzy of the late 70s, my brother received C-3PO, Luke Sky Walker and Darth Vader action figures by Kenner one Christmas morning. His joy was immeasurable. Like kids everywhere, we (for he kindly let me play with his toys) went riot with our imaginations. There were intergalactic adventures to be had and we had plenty of them. For my part, these action figures sometimes crossed over into other popular but unlikely fandoms: suffice to say Gargamel got his butt kicked on numerous occasions and once even Snoopy and Woodstock joined the Rebel Alliance...

There's a brilliant Flickr photo-set by MY Toy Museum (DJ) featuring many of the original vintage Star Wars action figures (see below for a sample). I swear, the memories just start flooding back.


Vintage Star Wars Figures 1

Vintage Star Wars Figures 4

Vintage Star Wars Figures 2

Source: Kenner Star Wars action figures circa 1977: photos by MY Toy Museum (DJ) on Flickr

6 comments:

  1. I always played with my neighbor's SW figures. We also occasionally played SW but sometimes there were neighbor wars with other next-door neighbor girl who also wanted in on the action. She was a number of years younger then me about the same age as the brother in the middle. Most of the time she was nice but when her cousins came over, watch out. She was as greedy with friendship as she was with food. Kind of like the Dart Vader of the neighborhood. I just couldn’t understand her jealousy since I was an lonely only child and she had many sisters, cousins and relatives. Besides she didn’t get SW anyway.
    Once I was lucky enough to go see the Empire strikes back with my neighbors. Now those were good times and very memorable. I was so glad to see the movie since I otherwise would have missed out. My parents weren’t the type to take me to see those and I was too shy to be one of those whiny spoiled brats to beg. I don’t think they got it any how and besides I guess it was seen as not girl like to be in to those types of movies. Those “girly” movies would have bored me any how. I remember I even had a few work books at school relating to SW with CP3O and R2 on the cover. Yup made school slightly tolerable to have those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known many girls like that snooty neighbour girl. I guess they're just naturally miserable people that they have to inflict their misery on others. You definitely didn't deserve to be treated so badly. I guess she felt insecure whenever you were around.

      I'm glad you got to see Empire Strikes back with your neighbours! That was a great film. I didn't get to see many films as a kid either. The "girly" movies bored me too! :)

      Anything with Star Wars on it was a lot of fun back in the day, I'm glad you had those workbooks. You sound like you were a cool kid to hang out with. We would have had so much fun had we both lived on the same street growing up!

      Delete
  2. My Kenner Star Wars action figures are probably my favorite toy from my childhood. That and our Atari and Nintendo game systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Atari! It was so addictive. So many fun games to play. The Kenner action figures rank high up on my list of favorite toys too. :)

      Delete
  3. I collect the main characters from the films and The Clone Wars. And anything Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's really cool. So much fun! :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails