Wednesday, July 20, 2016

RIP Garry Marshall

Some of the happiest and most vivid memories from my childhood are of being seated comfortably amid my loving family watching the assorted works of Mr. Garry Marshall 1934-2016.

via

Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Odd Couple were his works in our orbit and we devoured them. Being a kid in the 70s and 80s was a treat because we were still in that golden era of television where new territories were being charted while still paying homage to the old. Different stories were being told and different eras of nostalgia were being explored. They ranged from the emotional to the ridiculous but they always made us smile. He even contributed to our vernacular with terms like "sit on it", "aay", "nanu-nanu", etc.

Garry Marshall was an artist, a legend and a good man.

via
via




Whenever I hear the theme song from Laverne and Shirley, I get a pang—that waft of emotion and joy from when I was a care free kid and when my mother was still alive. Such happy days.

RIP Garry Marshall and thank you for all the joy.




2 comments:

  1. You're right about that era of television. A lot of people ridicule the shows, but they were in fact some of the happiest moments of our lives, sitting on the carpet watching with family, discussing shows in the schoolyard the next day, debating whether Fonzie would make it over those garbage cans, laughing at Lenny & Squiggy's antics, wondering what crazy thing Mork would do next. I miss those days. Thankfully, Gary Marshall has left us quite a volume of work we can still revisit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenny and Squiggy! I just loved those guys. What a wonderful comment Tom, thank you for sharing your memories. I indeed remember discussing the episodes the next day at school. It was surreal and exciting. I forgot about Fonzie and those garbage cans! :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails