Monday, May 01, 2017

Happy May Day!

Well dear visitors and lovers of "I Miss My Childhood", it is May 1st. I cannot believe the year is already nearly half over, it is speeding by so fast.

Maypole Dancing
By Kevin Gordon, CC BY-SA 2.0
Today is several things, according to Holidays and Observances (a lil website I use to find interesting things to blog about, and most of the time it really helps with the writing prompts). Check it out, and find out all of the holidays and observances in May, pretty interesting.

Most popular, I guess would be May Day, which is celebrated in many ways in many lands. I have always been a little enthralled over the "Maypole" tradition, as I have never had a chance or cause to be a part of this type of celebration. So for any of you that have, please share your experiences with me in the comments.

So apparently May 1st  - 7th is "National Children's Book Week". This made me remember fondly all of those cool book fairs back in elementary school. Oh when they would pass out those flyers, and then the bookmobile came, it was such an exciting treat. They had all kinds of books, magazines for kids too, I think, and even though I wouldn't say that I was the most voracious of readers, I adored books. I used to love going through the library, seeking out books and flipping through them. Don't get me wrong, when I make friends with a particularly interesting book, one that truly captures my attention, I will read it from cover to cover. I enjoy reading, I am just extremely easily distracted, so I've never read thousands, that's for sure. Books are just awesome though, and in this digital age, it is still such a cherished joy to hold an actual book in your hands, feeling the paper, smelling the pages and enjoying a story coming to life.

Did you read a lot as a child? Do you remember the Scholastic Book Fairs? 

Did your school(s) even have them? Please leave us a comment and join in the fun of these wonderful memories that we share for you here at "I Miss My Childhood". I go back and read a few of those books we read as children, sometimes, you know, just to keep in touch. Don't let the inner child stray too far.

Happy May Day! Go celebrate the season, and have fun!!

Love,

Aunt Jackie

7 comments:

  1. Two of the best days in school were the day the Scholastic flyers arrived and the day the books you ordered arrived. A staple for me was Dynamite magazine and I almost always ordered at least 1 book. I still read children's books (new and old). It helps me remember why I love reading and reminds me of the wonder of those days when I would open a brand new Scholastic book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the kind of memory I hoped someone would share, it does sort of take us back to think on that, and reading those now keeps our inner child alive, I feel. Thanks so much for sharing!! AJ

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid I lived for the day those Scholastic Books arrived. It was like Christmas morning in the middle of a school year. I agree with Tom the best days in school were when the flyers and the books arrived. My brother and I would pore over those flyers like they were the holy grail. And when the packages arrived it felt like torture until the teacher called out your name and gave you your order. Books were everything to me when I was a kid, they still are. I also read children's books. There's a lovely wonder and magic about them. Like visiting old friends. Great post Jackie. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Chells, yes it was that way, so exciting. Rainy days, book days, teachers bringing in the movie days, and days when your favorite food was in the cafeteria lol... Can we please zoom back?? :-)

      Delete
  3. PS: my mom participated in Maypole type events when she was a kid. But unfortunately I don't know much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could have some of her stories about it. <3

      Delete
  4. That is a Troll Book order form not Scholastic. I worked at Troll 10 years and still love the smell of new books! I imagined the children getting their new books. Not to mention I got to buy my family books at a reduced cost. I would buy a case of REQUIRED READING books. My son would sell them and make a small fortune at school :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails