Saturday, August 19, 2017

Eclipse

 Via Twitter

As we approach the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017, a lovely clip from ABC News circa February 26, 1979 (the date of the last solar eclipse) has been making the rounds. In the video, the anchor rather beautifully says: "That's it, the last solar eclipse to be seen on this continent, in this century". He reminds the audience that only in 38 years will another "eclipse be visible from North America".

I remember walking home from school that afternoon in February 1979 with my mother and brother. Mum tightly held onto our hands and sternly reminded us: "Don't look up! Keep your heads down." So we stared at the snowy ground below us, all the way home, in awe and amazement of what was transpiring.


As the reporter signs off, he says: "May the shadow of the moon fall on a world at peace."

Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, happy eclipse day to you Chelly! I remember that 1979 eclipse too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day very well. I was in 6th grade (Elementary school). We'd been preached to over and over again about not looking at the sun. The teacher pulled the blinds, but the blinds didn't cover the window entirely. I was terrified the sunlight coming through the cracks could blind me. Later, he took the class outside and we viewed the eclipse through a pinhole in a cardboard box. I was still worried I was going to uncontrollably look at the sun. This time around was much more enjoyable. We were fortunate where I live to see totality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up with comments. Thank you Lazlo and Tom for sharing your wonderful memories. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails